Apartments have long been a popular mode of living for many people out there. The obvious reasons for living in apartments are either the affordability or the convenience of maintenance-free living. The hike in land prices in Lahore in the last decade has greatly impacted people’s living habits. Although, living in apartments is quite common in Karachi, it is still not a norm in so many other major cities such as Lahore. Denizens of these regions are hardly used to this mode of living. Those who could easily afford buying a 5-marla house in Lahore in recent years are now compelled to buy apartments because of peaking prices. It has been observed that quite many reasons have made apartments a more viable option for people with smaller incomes. The home construction companies in Lahore these days are inclining towards construction of apartment buildings instead of houses because of the recent decline in public purchasing power. Let’s take a look at some of the pros and cons of living in apartments.
- Maintenance-Free: The serviced apartments require no maintenance efforts at all from the residents as they are maintained by a permanently designated staff. Whether it is cleaning, electrical or sanitation issues, the landlord is responsible for all regular checkups and its maintenance in apartments.
- Access to In-house Amenities: All the well-planned apartments come with in-house amenities for the residents. The amenities potentially include things like swimming pool, gymnasium, an underground secure parking with dedicated car spaces, common room, 24/7 security staff, free internet and a lot more. The more money you’re willing to spend, the better the amenities get.
- Perfect for Single Tenants: For people who plan to live alone for a foreseeable future would want less space and smaller bills. For such people, apartments are a great choice. The simplicity and convenience of an apartment is second to none for bachelors, introverts or small families.
- Uninterrupted Electricity: Apartments buildings that are well-maintained have standby generators which ensure uninterrupted power supply. This reduces or even terminates the need to go through the hassle of installing UPS or other electricity backups. Not being able to run air-conditioners during power outages is frustrating for everyone especially families with babies or students pulling all-nighters.
- Smaller Living Space: For all those people who are used to living in spacious houses, an apartment may feel really confining and claustrophobic. However, if you give it a chance, the compact living may just be become not just bearable but also pleasurable.
- Lack of Privacy: The crowded nature of apartment buildings and communal living deprives the tenants of privacy. You may unintentionally eavesdrop on unconcerned conversations. Shouting and someone blasting full volume on speakers may also become bothersome. Similarly, they might hear you too which means you’ll learn to speak politely; in a way, this could be called a pro.
- No Customization: Since apartments are owned and overseen by landlords or corporate organizations, the extent to which you can customize them is very limited. For instance, you may not be allowed to tamper with walls or paint or change fixtures.
While living communally in apartments could be an ideal fit for some, it does require a bit of getting used to. There are a few notable disadvantages many tenants may not be willing to compromise on. Ultimately, it all comes down to one’s personal preferences. The modern architecture companies in Pakistan like Amer Adnan Associates are constantly working on designing and constructing managed apartments in Lahore to introduce a new way of convenient and luxury living